“At Sound Foundation Somerset we believe that all primary school pupils who want to, will have the opportunity to learn a musical instrument.”
Whole Class Ensemble Teaching with Somerset Music
Whole Class Ensemble Tuition (WCET)…
- Enables whole classes to learn a musical instrument together.
- Provides the opportunity for school-based staff to learn alongside their class to develop valuable musical skills and increase confidence.
- It is primarily aimed at Year 4 students although mixed classes and other KS2 year groups can be accommodated.
- Takes place during the school day and lasts 45-60 minutes (based on the number of children in the class)
- Puts the ensemble experience at the heart of musical learning.
- Gives all pupils the opportunity to play a musical instrument.
- Has a positive impact on student attendance, achievement and self- confidence.
What does it involve?
- A complete musical experience including creative work, listening skills and performance
- A partnership between the school and the music service
- School based staff participation
- A springboard for sustainable instrumental teaching and learning
- A set of instruments in school (provided free of charge by Somerset Music)
Book WCET provision here!
‘Just back from watching BFG class and their brilliant brass skills! They were fabulous and have achieved so much in such a short space of time. Not just learning how to play some really daunting instruments but also learning to read some quite complex musical scores. It was great to hear so many different styles of music and see the journey the children have made.’‘[The tutor’s] enthusiasm and style of teaching was marvellous and completely infectious, generating rousing applause and cheers from the parents. It was great to watch the children hanging on his every word. He made it enormously fun and completely enjoyable. I wish I had had a music teacher like him when I was 9 years old!’